Consultant in General Medicine
A new opportunity has arisen to join our friendly, dedicated team and applications are invited for the post of Consultant in General Medicine with Specialist Interest accommodated. This post will be based at The West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven. The post involves out-patient and in-patient duties and a regular commitment to both in-reach into the medical admissions unit and on-call for general medicine. Any sub-specialist interest would be welcomed and supported.
Main duties of the job
Successful applicants must have full registration with the GMC.
Please note: You must be on the Specialist Register in order to be eligible for appointment to this level of post.
The post holder would be coming to join a committed and experienced team.
Relocation assistance of up to £8,000 may be available for successful applicants moving to the region.
Working for our organisation
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond.We’re responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of ‘safe, high quality care every time’.
Being a clinically led organisation
Quality and safety at the heart
A positive patient experience every time
A great place to work
Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see the attached job description for more information about the role and requirements.
Please note: If you are not currently on the Specialist Register, the offer of appointment will be at Specialty Doctor or Associate Specialist level, with a view of going down the CESR route to get on the register.
Education and Qualifications
- Valid Full Registration with the General Medical Council
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians or equivalent
- On the Specialist Register for the above or within 6 months of being admitted to the Register by the AAC date.
- Other relevant medical and non-medical training/degree
- Other relevant postgraduate qualification
- Relevant CCT or equivalent (equivalence must be confirmed by PMETB/GMC by date of AAC)
Experience and Knowledge
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- A commitment to, and experience of teaching
- Completed Higher Specialist Training (CCT) in general medicine or evidence of equivalent competency
- Teaching Experience of, and commitment to teaching undergraduate and postgraduate medical staff. Experience of teaching basic clinical skills to undergraduates Teaching of non-medical health professionals. Educational Qualification
Research, Audit and Clinical Governance
- Experience of, and commitment to, medical audit.
- Experience of research and Clinical Governance
- Ability to supervise postgraduate research
- Publications in referred journals
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Paul Mead
- Job title
- Consultant in Renal Medicine, Nephrology
- Email address