As a wholly-owned subsidiary of one of the largest NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, 2gether Support Solutions prides itself on the delivery of high-quality Facilities, Property and Estates, Procurement, Equipment Management and Professional services.
We provide services in five Hospitals across East Kent, that are: William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate, Buckland Hospital in Dover, Royal Victoria Hospital in Folkestone; and Kent and Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury.
2gether Support Solutions are seeking a Hospital Porter based at William Harvey Hospital on a permanent contract. The role is part time (32.5 hours a week) Working Monday to Friday 1400-2100.
When you’re working for us, we want you to feel valued and appreciated for your hard work. You will be part of a team that plays a huge part in making all patient, visitor and staff member experiences as positive as possible
Working for the NHS gives you the opportunity to deliver care and improve the quality of lives every day. Whilst also offering long term career opportunities and job security by being one of the UKs largest employers.
Main duties of the job
Porters are the heartbeat of NHS hospitals, making sure crucial goods and items are delivered where they are needed most. They also make sure patients are at the right place at the right time to get the treatment they need.
You will be working with a wide range of departments and will have contact with clinical and non-clinical staff as well as assisting with patients and visitors. This is a physically demanding role and requires a degree of fitness in order to carry out duties sufficiently including heavy lifting, walking long distances and pushing/pulling equipment.
This role is extremely customer service focused, and offers the opportunity to make a real difference through your interactions with patients and clinical staff.
If you are looking for a rewarding and physically active role, whereby you will be a vital part of the hospital team, showing good communication skills, initiative and self-motivation in your work, apply today for consideration.
Working for our organisation
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of one of the largest NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, 2gether Support Solutions prides itself on the delivery of high-quality facilities, property, procurement and professional services.
We put customer service and quality at the heart of everything we do across all our areas of expertise, including cleaning, catering, portering, security, parking, logistics, laundry, estates, medical engineering and procurement. We work over five East Kent hospitals: William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate, Buckland Hospital in Dover, Royal Victoria Hospital in Folkestone; and Kent and Canterbury Hospital in Canterbury.
As a new organisation, we are working hard to become an employer of choice by improving pay, and providing opportunities for learning and development in the workplace.
• We pull together as one team to make a difference
• To deliver great support to patients and staff
• We find solutions, care about what we do and you can trust us
• We are proud of our work and know what we are here to do
• 25 days annual leave allowance
• The opportunity to buy or sell up to 10 days annual leave each year
• Company Pension
• Training and development opportunities including BICS and functional skills training
• Career progression
• Discount in selected high street retailers
• Onsite childcare facilities at our three acute sites
• Cycle to work Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme with Health Assured
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• Sort, document, transport and deliver all patients, goods, records etc. to wards and departments.
• Ensure that customer complaints are promptly dealt with, and action taken to prevent reoccurrence.
• Use machinery as shown and taught, ensuring that the equipment is used safely and in accordance with current regulations and company policies.
• Report all maintenance issues and hazards to your supervisor.
• Clean all work areas during and after use and remove all waste to the appropriate area.
• Comply with all Health & Safety legislation which is laid out in the company’s Health & Safety Manual.
• Ensure hygiene levels are maintained in accordance with current legislation and provide a safe environment for customers and staff.
• Comply with the current dress and personal hygiene regulations.
• Attend and comply with training.
• Develop good lines of communications and relationships at all levels within your team and with other colleagues and customers.
• Manage security processes within your area/duties, in line with the company procedures.
• Carry out the duties/tasks on specific schedules, once full training has been given.
• Perform any reasonable and practical instructions as requested by the Supervisor, appropriate to the needs of the hospital.
• The post holder carries out portering duties including the transportation of patients, deceased patients, medical gas cylinders (including the exchange and checking of flow meters), equipment, stores, furniture, pharmaceutical and pathology items, mail, refuse and linen, case notes, some of which duties can be heavy.
• Modes of transport include wheelchairs, beds, stretcher trolleys, trolleys, internal and external electrical vehicles and tugs.
• The duties require a combination of walking, standing, lifting, pushing and pulling.
• Duties will involve coming into contact with distressed patients/visitors and deceased patients.
• friendly and helpful
• calm and reassuring
• physically fit for lifting, walking, pushing, etc
• willing to work with staff and patients of all ages and from all walks of life
• health and safety aware
• able to follow instructions carefully
• communication skills
• organisational skills
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- 2gether Support Solutions
- Job title
- Talent Acquisition Team