Head of Facilities
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is situated on the west coast of Lancashire, with services covering the local authority areas of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. The Trust is part of the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care System (ICS) supporting a population of around 1.6 million people.
We have three main hospitals providing acute services to around 330,000 local residents. The organisation also provides specialist tertiary care for cardiac and haematology services, delivers community health services to over 445,000 residents including those in North Lancashire and hosts the National Artificial Eye Service across England. Plus, we provide urgent and emergency care services to an estimated 18 million people who visit the seaside resort each year. We employ over 7000 people from 68 different countries.
We welcome and encourage application from anyone with protected characteristics, as well as supporting reservists and Veterans who are looking for a rewarding and challenging career within the NHS.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals encourages flexible working in all our roles to support staff in maintaining healthy home-life balance. Working patterns such as: part time working, self-rostering, compressed hours, annualised hours, term time, reverse term time and flexitime working can be explored.
The post holder will sit on the Atlas Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and will undertake work on many strategies and projects not necessarily under the Facilities umbrella but in relation to the business and the business development. They will be required to work at the highest level within the company. Additionally, the post holder within Atlas BFWML carries significant responsibility not only for Soft FM, but in relation to integrating with other key components of the business such as Estates, Capital, Rationalisation, Procurement and Finance supporting integrated working across the contracted footprint.
There are circa 120 staff reporting into the post holder including direct reports. Ultimate responsibility for multiple buildings (circa 50) and the Transport Department sits within this remit.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the post holder will have overall business unit responsibility for resource, financials, governance and compliance in both the business as usual environment and for any related projects.
Main duties of the job
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
Key Result Areas
- To be responsible for the development of the FM strategy for facilities services and a 5-year business plan using a "bottom up" approach, and ensure that the plans are consistent with Atlas BFWML service plans and overall objectives.
- Preparation of long term strategic plans where the future direction may be uncertain so the need to review regularly is imperative to ensure FM services and its strategic direction meets the needs of the whole organisation.
- To ensure appropriate monitoring arrangements and reporting systems are in place for FM services. The post holder will analyse the results of all data and audits so improvements can be identified. There will be a need to compare and interpret results to make the right decisions about the future and improvement of some services.
- To lead and support the FM team in the development of performance management systems to ensure optimum service delivery for all users of facilities services. These systems will assist in the comparison and monitoring of services.
- The post holder will analyse the various options for solutions and compare the recommendations to make an informed decision on the best way forward using all the information, statutory compliance and legislation to ensure the best solution is progressed.
- To maintain an overview of complaints and incidents and ensure that appropriate action is taken and that lessons are learned and shared.
Working for our organisation
BFW Management Ltd, trading as Atlas, is a wholly owned subsidiary company of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
We are experts in property and facilities management and deliver fully managed services to clients throughout the North West of England. We pride ourselves in making your properties and facilities provide the best possible environment for you and your customers.
We operate an Alternative Delivery Model (ADM), which commenced in March 2017, providing a fully managed property and facilities management services to Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and clients throughout the North West of England.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In order to be shortlisted you must demonstrate you meet all the essential criteria and as much of the desirable as possible. When a large volume of applications is received for a vacancy and most applicants meet the essential criteria, the desirable criteria are used to produce the shortlist.
Management and Finance
- To be totally responsible for the budgets for Soft FM to ensure services are provided within the financial constraints available.
- Negotiate and manage all Third-Party Contracts relating to relevant services. Generate SLAs an KPIs in association.
- Ensure FM Managers monitor services and expenditure against budget on a regular basis.
- To introduce systems to link budget setting to service planning and to co-ordinate the budget setting process, ensuring that budgets are set accurately, are achievable, gaps/cost improvements are identified and that regular monitoring is taking place.
- To maximise the income generated via SLA’s and service contracts delivered by the FM Team
- Overall responsibility for all FM Policies to ensure they are “fit for purpose”, adopted and followed by the relevant personnel and that they consider the reconfiguration of future services.
- The post holder will need to analyse technical information, review documents, plans and reports giving details of possible recommendations for solutions to gather the information required to make the informed decision on the way forward.
- Monitoring and undertaking regular compliance audits to ensure all FM services are compliant with the legal legislation and guidelines associated with the service. Complex decisions will need to be made to ensure safety takes precedent over budgetary constraints.
- Manage all risks associated with FM services – to be responsible for the FM risk register reviewing on a regular basis and ensuring new associated risks are included and regularly reviewed.
- Ensure all reported incidents and accidents relating to FM services are reviewed and appropriate action is taken to minimise any future risks.
- To plan resources changes to align with Atlas strategic objectives to achieve financial balance that meets the needs of the service. This may involve decisions to reduce, cut or realign FM services
- Direct FM managers on budget management issues, set financial objectives for them and monitor their progress against them
- To support Atlas BFWML in the development of information systems to support Facilities services and performance management and ensure KPIs are communicated to users on a regular basis – this will cross over into other Atlas Business Units as an Integrated solution and the Post Holder will be solely responsible for the implementation, management and subsequent changes.
- To work closely with corporate directorates to ensure that Atlas BFWML initiatives are implemented locally and to ensure that information is available to assist with planning and FM services.
- In relation to Clifton Hospital, be responsible for the PLACE process and ensure results and action plans are reported at appropriate levels.
- Take responsibility for ensuring all FM activities are carried out competently and safely, in compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Responsible for ensuring cleaning service providers follow the appropriate national standards and maintain them as outlined in the relevant documentation.
- Responsible for ensuring the Catering services provided meet the Standards for food and Drink in NHS Hospitals.
Training and Development
- To ensure that the system of supervision and individual Development Review or equivalent operates within sphere of responsibility, in accordance with Atlas BFWML policy.
- To ensure that staff are regularly supervised and appraised, and that their development needs are considered and addressed.
- To ensure that training needs are identified and appropriate methods devised to achieve these needs.
- To manage the Soft FM service managers and to be responsible for those services, which are currently: -
- Transport – fleet of vehicles for non-patient portering
- Support Services – clinical waste/domestic waste/pest control/uniforms
- Catering – within a hospital environment
- Cleaning – clinical and non-clinical
- To ensure that protocols and procedures relating to employment, staff management and development are in place and that systems are set up to monitor performance in these areas.
- The post holder will have the responsibility for the management team including recruitment and selection, appraisal and sickness absence and following disciplinary procedures if required. Making decisions on serious disciplinary cases or grievances, and making informed decisions for outcome.
- To ensure there is a robust system of management and monitoring of the Risk Register. To ensure risks associated with all FM services are logged and recorded and reviewed with the team
- To represent Atlas BFWML at appropriate meetings and forums as appropriate ensuring information regarding services and reports are available as appropriate.
- To develop involvement with service users in facilities services
To contribute and commit to undertaking an annual Development Review/appraisal.
- Educated to M degree level or many years’ experience in FM across all disciplines, including responsibility for in house teams and contractors, monitoring services, producing KPIs and compliance.
- Strategic thinking and evidence of Continual Professional Development.
- Management or professional qualification or equivalent experience managing FM services and specialist knowledge of those services
- MIWFM or higher
- Demonstrable experience of working at a senior level within a large complex organisation
- Experience of working in a complex, multi, professional organisational environment
- Experience of managing change
- Experience of directly managing significant resources, including budgets and staff
- Experience of developing and implementing policies and procedures
- Statutory compliance relevant to the role
- Experience of working at a corporate level
- Experience of contract management
- Previous experience of managing soft FM services
- Experience of working in both the public and private sector
- Experience of working within an Acute and Primary Care setting
- Building Management
- Risk Assessments
- Method Statements
- Health and Safety
- Hard Working
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Ellis Smith
- Job title
- Interim Director of Operations and Head of Estates
- Email address