Senior Health Protection Practitioner (Clinical Governance Lead)
NHS AfC: Band 8b
Public Health England (PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care providing; strategic leadership, research, advice and support for Government, local authorities and the NHS in protecting and improving the nation’s health
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
This is a Non Reserved post under the Civil Service Nationality Rules and is therefore open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals and certain non EEA members. For more information please refer to the supporting documents detailing the Civil Service Nationality Rules.
- For posts on PHE Civil Service terms and conditions, on appointment the salary is normally the minimum point (see salary range above). This will be dependent on the successful candidate’s current salary and terms and/or equivalent experience. The Civil Service pay structure and progression is different from NHS Agenda for Change, most local authority pay grades and other systems that have annual pay increments. Please see attached an information sheet explaining starting salaries and benefits when joining PHE.
- For clinically ringfenced AfC or Medical/Dental posts, you must obtain the correct professional registration to be appointed. The pay will follow the AfC or Medical & Dental terms & conditions. You may be asked to provide evidence on previous service whilst we are conducting pre-employment checks to determine starting salaries.
Any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
Temporary Appointments: If you are external to the Civil Service, you will take up the post on a Fixed Term appointment, if you are an existing Civil Servant, based outside of PHE, you will take up the post as a loan and if you are an existing PHE member of staff, you will take up the post as either a level transfer or a temporary promotion as per PHE’s Pay and Grading policy. If you are an existing Civil Servant, (in PHE or elsewhere) you must have prior agreement from your Line Manager before applying for this post.
Given the nature of the work of PHE, as a Category 1 department, you may be required in an emergency, if deemed a necessity, to redeploy to another role at short notice. You may also be required to work at any other location, within reasonable travelling distance of your permanent home address, in line with the provisions set out in your contract of employment.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: PHE website
On 18 August 2020, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care announced plans to establish the National Institute for Health Protection and consult on the best future options for strengthening health improvement and other public health functions in the wider system. Public Health England and many of its employees will be in scope for transition to new organisations in Spring 2021. Any new or current employees working for Public Health England during this time, will receive appropriate communications and consultation prior to any formal transfer taking place. Employees who compulsorily transfer to successor bodies will remain on their existing contractual terms and conditions and this applies both to current employees and those recruited during the transition. The recruitment, growth & development of our workforce is vital for the continuing success of PHE and the future National Institute for Health Protection
This is a new role within the PHE SE Contact Tracing service. The successful applicant will join the team at a pivotal time for promoting quality and clinical governance. The postholder will be instrumental in developing the clinical governance systems and processes to support the establishment and delivery of the tier 1 contact tracing service. The role will require experience of quality and clinical governance and considerable negotiation and development skills. In particular the post holder will:
- Oversee the establishment of systems and processes for clinical governance of the COVID tier 1 contact tracing service
- Work with the Clinical Lead for contact tracing to ensure the service is developed using sound quality methodology
- Establish and communicate clear, collective and consistent priorities for quality
- Drive improvements in quality within the service during a time of rapid expansion and with a demand for high quality training of new staff
- Chair the SE CTC quality/governance group
- Establish reporting mechanisms for key internal and external stakeholders on demand and performance in the contact tracing service
- Lead on identifying and achieving quality standards
- Develop systems that routinely gather views of the public, service users and stakeholders
- Build a culture of continuous improvement within the service, and a workforce that can accept change
- Deliver quality improvement working with a virtual team within a rapidly changing environment
- Develop systems that enable the team to maintain standards in times of high or low demand
Please make sure you read the additional information on this role in the document entitled additional required information.
Option 3 – External
Open to all external applicants (anyone) from outside the Civil Service (including by definition internal applicants).
This vacancy falls within the clinical ring fence pool of post within Public Health England. Therefore suitable qualified clinical applicants will be employed on NHS terms and conditions and will be able to join the NHS pension.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- SE Covid Recruitment
- Email address