Band 5 Librarian - Green Lane Hospital
Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, Library and Knowledge Service is looking for a qualified librarian / information professional or person working towards qualification to join our team as librarian for Wiltshire. This solo post is responsible for providing knowledge and library services to members of AWP staff and students across the county of Wiltshire.
- Provide and manage traditional library resources
- Support staff and students with clinical and professional information needs
- Conduct evidence searches to support high quality decision-making for excellent patient care
- Create and deliver training to staff in using the new Knowledge Hub and healthcare databases.
We are looking for:
- Excellent customer service skills
- High level communication and IT skills
- The willingness to update skills and knowledge regularly
- A team player
- Have initiative to work alone and prioritise
- The ability to travel.
Based at our two Wiltshire hospital sites at Green Lane Devizes and Fountain Way, Salisbury but with a remit to deliver services to the wider community, the successful applicant is expected to undertake a certain amount of travel. Remote working one day a week can be considered.
In return, we offer the opportunity to work in a cohesive and supportive team, develop skills in all aspects of healthcare knowledge and library work and take advantage of the training & development opportunities working for the NHS provides.
Main duties of the job
To provide a library and knowledge service to staff and students at service points and community bases across the Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Trust area with a particular focus on Wiltshire. This involves undertaking a wide variety of duties from supplying print books to supporting staff and students with their clinical and CPD information needs, to conducting high-level evidence searches to support evidence-based practice. You will work closely with the library team to ensure all staff and students have access to the best possible information and knowledge service.
Key areas of the role are:
- The continuing provision and development of outreach library services for staff based across the region.
- Contribution to the development of a digital first approach to our resource collections and helping to ensure equitable Trust wide access.
- Work as a team to innovate and develop the library service to help meet the changing needs and expectations of our users
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care.
We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
At AWP we actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds; we are particularly keen to encourage applications from people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, those with disabilities and from the LGBTQ+ community. We want people to bring their unique blend of experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and knowledge to AWP, as diversity makes us stronger.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To contribute to the day-to-day running of Trust libraries within the Wiltshire area including circulation of stock, overdues and requests.
- To maintain and develop collections of hardcopy and electronic resources to meet the needs of library users including acquisitions, cataloguing, classification, promotion, withdrawal and analysis.
- To support library team decisions in analysing the suitability of resources for purchase, and procurement of relevant stock.
- Deliver a high quality enquiry service, using professional knowledge of appropriate resources to help staff access the evidence required to provide high quality care.
- To create, develop and deliver education and training on information retrieval and critical appraisal skills to support the use of evidence based practice within the trust. Providing group training sessions and one to one sessions, using both digital and face-to-face methods. Create and prepare training support materials including handouts and worksheets.
- To work closely with the LKS team to develop an outreach approach to service delivery using both digital and face-to-face methods; including attending clinical team meetings, presentations to staff groups and community services.
- To conduct complex literature searches on behalf of staff and use analytical/critical appraisal skills to select high quality, evidence-based resources.
- To contribute to the production of current awareness bulletins, the library bulletin and subject guides in co-ordination with the library team.
- To contribute to the production and development of subject knowledge guides in co-ordination with the library team.
- To contribute to the content and development of the library intranet pages and other electronic resources.
- Provide induction sessions to new staff and students on placement, in groups and as one-to-ones using digital and face-to-face methods.
- To participate in LKS marketing activities, including attending conferences, organising events and preparing publicity materials.
- To contribute to the administration and management of social media accounts on behalf of the LKS by creating and sharing high quality, relevant content.
- Support the LKS Manager in the supervision and training of library assistants.
- To contribute to team meetings and assist library colleagues with work load when required.
- Participate and contribute to the development and implementation of service improvement and innovation.
- Contribute to national and regional NHS library communities and development of services.
- Actively pursue own subject knowledge in the field of mental health.
- Develop own knowledge of a wide range of information resources.
- Participate in regional and national training for own professional development.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of NHS databases and other electronic resources as may be provided locally, regionally and nationally.
- To adhere to Trust guidelines regarding risk assessments and risk management, and other related mandatory courses (Training will be given)
- To manage own workload on a day-to-day basis, prioritising tasks to meet library service standards.
- To follow library processes and procedures for tasks, suggesting changes where these would improve working practice and making sure documentation is up to date.
- To have an awareness of Trust policies and external guidelines and legislation (e.g. copyright, data protection) and apply these to day to day practice, consulting a librarian when in doubt or when a complex situation arises
- To maintain confidentiality of all information obtained
- Observe health and safety regulations
- Comply fully with all policies and procedures approved by the Trust
- Respect appropriate confidentiality of information and comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act/ GDPR
- Comply fully with the Copyright legislation
- Demonstrate high standards of personal conduct and be a positive ambassador for the Trust
Degree or postgraduate qualification in librarianship / information studies
- Degree or postgraduate qualification in librarianship / information studies or working towards qualification
- Experience in healthcare or a related library environment
Evidence of using information retrieval skills, both traditional and online.
- Evidence of information retrieval skills, both traditional and online.
- Experience of delivering information skills training to end users, including producing training materials
Experience of specialists databases, computer systems and Microsoft Office
- Experience of specialists databases, computer systems and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and use of social media. Experience of creating or updating webpages
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and spoken
Evidence or awareness of customer care skills
- Evidence or awareness of customer care skills
Evidence or awareness of team working skills
- Evidence or awareness of team working skills
Evidence or awareness of prioritising and organising own workload
- Evidence or awareness of prioritising and organising own workload
Competent using Microsoft Office applications WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT
- Competent using Microsoft Office applications WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Helen Watts
- Job title
- Library and Knowledge Services Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0117 472 8625
- Additional information
Cathy Marsden - current librarian for Wiltshire and Steven Walker librarian for Bristol are also available to help on the above number.