Consultant in Orthopaedics
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
Whole-Time Consultant in Orthopaedics with a special interest in Lower Limb Arthroplasty Surgery to Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust based at the Northern General Hospital.
Any candidate who is unable for personal reasons to work full-time will be eligible to be considered for the post; if such a person is appointed, modification of the job content will be discussed on a personal basis with the Trust in consultation with consultant colleagues.
Should any further vacancies arise shortlisted candidates may be considered.
Main duties of the job
The appointee, together with consultant colleagues will be responsible for providing an elective Lower Limb Arthroplasty surgery service across the two hospitals in Sheffield.
The post holder will participate in an on-call rota, providing Orthopaedic Trauma cover.
This post will enable the successful applicant to develop their elective surgery interests, subject to the needs of the service, to complement existing consultant staff.
The appointee will undertake elective outpatient clinics, elective operating sessions, on-call, subspecialty fracture clinics, ward round duties and associated administration.
The new Consultant will take equal responsibility with existing Consultants for the proper functioning of the Lower Limb Arthroplasty service and will be required to cover for colleagues during periods of absence.
The post holder will work with clinical and managerial colleagues towards achieving and maintaining national maximum waiting times and developing clinical pathways in line with the maximum 18 week patient pathway guarantee.
Working for our organisation
Located on rolling hills and dissected by river valleys, Sheffield is one of the greenest and most wooded cities in Europe. More than a third of the city lies inside the beautiful Peak District National Park, and it is virtually surrounded by open countryside. Its central location and excellent transport links also means it is less than two hours from most major metropolitan areas.
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK’s busiest and most successful NHS foundation trusts. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an award winning and internationally recognised team, with a focus on innovation, research and high quality care, as well as family friendly working, and we are keen to discuss with individuals about how we can support their ambitions.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
COVID-19 Vaccination Information: COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course our patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not a condition of employment at this time, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. We will be checking the vaccination status of all new starters so that we can manage individual and environmental risks, and so that we can support those who may be undecided about vaccination. If you are unvaccinated there is helpful advice and information at https://sheffieldhospitalscoronavirus.co.uk/vaccine.html where you can also find out more about how to access vaccination. There is a current government consultation underway which will determine whether some new starters may need to be vaccinated.
Please refer to the supporting job description and person specification which will outline the duties of the role including an indicative job plan.
Applications from those unable, for personal reasons, to work on a whole time basis or a job share basis will be considered.
The successful candidate must be registered with the GMC with a valid licence to practice. For further information please visit the GMC website and click on the Registration and Licensing link. You will also have completed Specialist Training (or equivalent) and be entered on the Specialist Register of the GMC, or have a CCT date within six months of the date of interview.
Non-UK/EEA applicants should ensure they are aware of the recent changes to the Immigration rules. For further information on how this may affect your application visit the UK Government website.
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust promotes Equality of opportunity and Diversity within the workplace.
- Full and Specialist registration (with a license to practice) with the General Medical Council (GMC), or eligible for registration within six months of interview.
- Name on the specialist register for relevant speciality or eligible within 6 months of the date of the interview. If an applicant is UK trained, they must also be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Recognised Lower Limb Arthroplasty Fellowship
- MD or PhD or equivalent
- Ability to work as an independent practitioner in Lower Limb Arthroplasty Surgery.
- Possess broad clinical experience in the general aspects of the speciality, including evidence of sub-speciality training.
- Ability to critically assess published research and incorporate it into clinical practice where appropriate.
- Publications in Peer reviewed journals
Teaching and Training
- Experience of teaching student doctors and doctors in training at all levels
Continuous Professional Development
- Evidence of the participation in CME/CPD in the last 12 months
- Maintenance of a CPD diary or portfolio
Management and Adminstration
- Evidence of the understanding of the systems and structures of NHS Management
Clinical Governanace and Audit
- Experience in performing clinical audit
- Completion and publication of a substantive audit project or service improvement project
- Demonstrate behaviour consistent with PROUD values
- Good oral and written communication skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mr Andrew Gordon
- Job title
- Consultant and Clinical lead for LLAU
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Mr Amjid Ali