NHS AfC: Band 2
The role of the nursing assistant, apprentice pathway post is flexible, and the post holder will therefore be required to provide support over a wide range of service/functions. Key to this flexibility is the requirement for staff to work variable hours on a week by week basis within agreed limits.
The post holder will be required to work according to the UHNM Code of Conduct for Nursing/Maternity Assistants & Unregistered Allied Healthcare Support Workers.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will work towards completion of the Care Certificate
The post holder will work towards completion of a vocational qualification in care as agreed in their PDR
The post holder will work towards local competency agreements, according to placement area.
The post holder will have previous experience in a care environment
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we’re highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford. Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford.
We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Investing in the health and wellbeing of our staff is really important to us. We offer a range of options for our staff to help maintain a good work-life balance including full time, part time hours and bank hours. We are also committed to offering flexible working wherever we can and where relevant to the role and the service, agile working. You can select your preferences upon application.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Act as politely, effectively and respectfully in all episodes of interaction with Trust staff, patients, their carer’s and members of the public
- It is expected that ALL employees of the UHNM will take part in the Personal Development Review process each year and with the first review taking place within the first 6 months from appointment.
- Communicate and report any changes or information relating to the patient to the Registered Nurse. Communicate appropriately with patients and visitors to the Ward or Department. To receive patients, visitors and staff in a calm, friendly, efficient and professional manner.
- Under supervision of a Registered Nurse, assist with all aspects of fundamental patient care.
- Respect patient privacy and dignity at all times
- Prepare equipment for medical and nursing procedures
- Assist medical and nursing staff with procedures as required
- Act as a chaperone supporting patients undergoing examinations or procedures
- Escort patients to other areas of the Trust as directed by the Registered Nurse
- Prioritises which duties to respond to first, reports patient’s condition in a timely manner.
- The post holder will be required to have the ability, dexterity and accuracy required for to perform procedures such as fundamental patient care, manual handling and patient observations
- Keyboard skills
- Organises own day to day work tasks or activities
- Demonstrates safe working practices in the use of equipment in the clinical area, once competence has been evidenced.
- Within individual training programmes and local protocols, checks and cleans equipment, once competence has been evidenced.
- Under the direction and supervision of the sister / Charge nurse order stocks and supplies and ensure they are stored appropriately
- Demonstrates their own duties to new starters and bank / agency staff
- Adheres to Trust Standards of Dress policy
- Essential Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Personal Qualities
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Abaraham Runsmon
- Job title
- Ward Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number